N Propyl Bromide (nPB)
N-Propyl Bromide or nPB (aka 1-bromopropane) – is a water-white to slightly pale yellow, non-flammable chemical compound. The chemical formula is C3H7Br. nPB has no flash point, dries quickly, leaves no residue and contains no chlorine. nPB is an organic solvent used for the cleaning:
· Precision cleaning – including vapor degreasing
· Oxygen system cleaning
· Medical devices
nPB is used in dry cleaning fabrics and is an adhesive solvent. nPB is also used as a flame retardant in the blowing agents of some foams; as a diluent in the manufacturing of medicinal tablets; as an extraction agent for the purification of herbs and natural plant extracts; and in some countries, NPB is used in adhesive formulations and as a solvent in aerosol formulations. nPB is also used in herbicides.
NPB is US EPA SNAP (Significant New Alternative Policy) Approved for cleaning metal, electronics and precision cleaning. Also under certain conditions it is used for paints and coatings.
The odor is characteristic of a hydrocarbon, slightly ethereal.
In practically all of the uses for nPB, the solvent replaces dangerous chlorinated solvents (such as trichloroethylene (TCE), perchloroethylene (PCE), Dichloromethane (DCM or methylene chloride), and trans-dichloroethylene (Trans DCE)). TCE, PCE and DCM are rated as “Hazardous Air Pollutants” or HAPs in the United States and many other countries. HAPs have been identified by the U.S. Government as cancer-causing products in most instances and therefore are under tighter environmental and personal exposure limits. N-propyl bromide is not a HAP, so many companies are turning to nPB as the best alternative in order to achieve the final goal of cleaning parts or extracting herbs, etc. nPB is exempt from all U.S. EPA NESHAP Rules and Regulations.
Benefits of nPB
- No Flash Point (Non Flammable)
- No Chlorine
- Superior Acid Neutralization
- Superior Solvency (KB Value = 130)
- Rust Formation Prevention
- Minimal Non-Volatile Residue
- U.S. EPA SNAP Approved
- Non-Hazardous Air Pollutant
- Non-Ozone Layer Depleting (atmospheric life span of only 11-19 days)
- Low Global Warming Potential
- Non-Hazardous Waste (not regulated by DOT for transportation)
- Short Environmental Life
- Biodegrades Rapidly in the Environment (hydrolysis in water with half-life of 19 days)
- Non-Hazardous Decomposition
- VOC Exempt Status Applied For (studies show nPB breaks down more ground-level ozone than it creates)
Packaging: Tulstar offers NPB packaged in 5 gal. pails, drums, totes and bulk.